Saturday, November 28, 2009

Some interesting links

I've just been browsing around the web and though I knew abstractly that Stanton Street was one of the few LES shuls left, I didn't exactly realize how MANY similar buildings with similar histories have been demolished or turned into shiny new condos. Sam Gruber's Jewish Art and Monuments blog has some photos and information about these places here, and also see Elissa Sampson's incredible trove of photos from various spaces that no longer exist...

It's amazing to me that so many existed and now have just disappeared. I'm already so very impressed by the Stanton Street congregation's incredible commitment to preserving and maintaining the building and the active community that gathers there - this just underscores the importance of soldiering on in this direction.

Keep checking in for more great updates on the conservation of the sanctuary interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment